The fashion and textile industry is at a turning point.
- First, it is one of the most polluting due to its use of chemicals (polyester, dyes, etc.), large amounts of water, long-distance logistics, and waste (defective products and unsold inventory that ends up burnt or in landfills.
- The Covid-19 pandemic put pressure on both retail and supply chains.
- In this episode, we talk with Alex Chan, Co-Director of The Mills Fabrica about the industry’s growing appetite for innovation.
This podcast is hosted by Benjamin Joffe (@benjaminjoffe), Partner at SOSV, a global early stage fund focused on deep tech. SOSV runs multiple accelerator programs including HAX (intelligent hardware) and IndieBio (life sciences).
In this conversation, we talk about:
- The growing interest of the fashion and textile industry for deep tech to improve productivity, reduce its environmental impact, and build more resilient supply chains.
- Examples of solutions for digital fabrication, on-demand and local production (including 3D printing).
- New and sustainable biomaterials,
- Technologies for defect prevention or waste recycling.
- Finally, we discuss strategies and resources for startups to successfully engage with the apparel industry.
Disclosure: SOSV, TheMills and Nan Fung portfolio companies are marked. The Mills Fabrica is an LP in SOSV IV.
- Algalife (The Mills): Textile pigments and fibers from algae — TheMills.
- AlgniKnit: algae-derived, biodegradable yarns and textiles — SOSV.
- Bolt Threads: Sustainable Fashion Biomaterials and Fabrics — Nan Fung.
- Evrnu: Novel engineered fiber made from discarded clothing — TheMills
- Huue (fka Tinctorium): Sustainable, petroleum-free indigo dyes — SOSV, TheMills.
- Kniterate: digital desktop knitting machine — SOSV.
- Mango Materials: Biopolymers from methane — TheMills
- MycoWorks: Mushroom-based leather — SOSV.
- Presso: Dry-cleaning and disinfection robot — SOSV.
- Renewcell: Technology for fabric recycling — TheMills
- SmarTex: Real-time defect detection for textile production — SOSV.
- Unspun: On-demand, custom jeans from 3D body scans — SOSV, TheMills.
- Fashion for Good (Amsterdam): Platform for sustainable fashion innovation
- Global Change Award: Back by the non-profit H&M Foundation to make the entire fashion industry circular.
- Shima Seiki: A global leader in knitting machines.
- Techstyle Innovations: Report by TheMills Fabrica.
- Covid-19: Reconstructing the Apparel Value Chain: Report by TheMills Fabrica.
RESOURCES ON DEEP TECH