Few VC funds focus on deep tech in industry, and few investors have a strong industrial background. Robert Gallenberger at btov Partners is one of those rare people. He invests across Europe where he sees an industrial renaissance based on the combination of fresh tech talent with industry veterans, and making use of the strong industrial base particularly in Germany, Switzerland and more.
This podcast is hosted by Benjamin Joffe, Partner at SOSV, a global early stage fund focused on deep tech. SOSV runs multiple accelerator programs including HAX (intelligent hardware) and IndieBio (life sciences). To hear about new episodes, sign up to the newsletter or follow us on twitter at @LabToMarket.
For other episodes covering industrial investments, check out Kelly Chen (DCVC) on Investing in Old School Industries and John Ho (Anzu Partners) on Breakthrough Industrial Tech.
ABOUT ROBERT AND BTOV
Robert Gallenberger loves industrial technologies.
- A former BMW engineer, MBA from London Business School and BCG consultant, he became a VC over a decade ago, and has mostly focused on industry startups ever since.
- He is now a Partner in charge of the €100M Industrial Technologies Fund at btov (Twitter: btovPartners), an early stage European VC firm managing over €500M.
Founded 20 years ago as 'brains to ventures', and early investors in deep tech companies such as Volocopter (raised €118.2M) and OrCam (raised $86.4M), btov also built a network of 250 Private Investors to support their portfolio.
In this episode, Robert talks about:
- His transition from industry to investment,
- His vision on the opportunities in the sector (including 3D printing and the reinvention of supply chains in a post-covid world).
He also shares:
- His approach to investment in industry 4.0,
- Practical insights on how startups can avoid wasting time with the wrong industrial partners,
- What could be done to grow the ecosystem.
- Deep Tech Startups vs. Covid-19, with IndieBio, Khosla Ventures and 50 Years
- Eric Rosenblum (Tsingyuan Ventures) on Chinese Founders in the US
- Overview of Deep Tech Investment, Based on the Report by Different
- Sota Nagano (Abies Ventures) on Japan’s Deep Tech Scene
- Seth Bannon (Fifty Years) on Solving Global Problems
- Kelly Chen (DCVC) on Investing in Old School Industries
- Manish Singhal (pi Ventures) on India’s Deep Tech Scene
- John Ho (Anzu Partners) on Breakthrough Industrial Tech
- Matt Clifford (EF / Entrepreneur First) on Investing in Talent and Pre-Product
RESOURCES ON DEEP TECH
- DeepTech Investing Report by Different
- The Dawn of the Deep Tech Ecosystem by Hello Tomorrow and BCG
- Deep Tech Investors Mapping by Hello Tomorrow
- Deep Tech Trends Report, Hardware Trends Reports and hardware investment outlook by SOSV