As a Triple Negative Breast Cancer Survivor/Thriver, Ricki Fairley's personal purpose, passion, mission, ministry, and blessing is to bring focus, attention, research, science, and action to eradicating Black Breast Cancer, and supporting and coaching what she calls her “Breasties” through their breast cancer experience.
✨A few highlights from the show:
1. Triple-negative breast cancer has high mortality for Black women, which is 41% higher compared to White women. Black women also get it three times the rate of White women. It is also the most aggressive type of breast cancer.
2. Triple-negative breast cancer typically comes back and there is no drug at this time to prevent a recurrence.
3. A sugar pill is not offered in cancer research. All participants receive a drug.
4. A participant in a clinical trial receives a better quality of care.
5. Although 5 - 10% of breast cancer is hereditary, it is very important to know your family history of cancer.
🎗️️🛶 Connect and learn more about Ricki:
Triple Negative Breast Cancer Foundation, https://tnbcfoundation.org/
Black Doctor.Org, https://blackdoctor.org/
"The Doctor Is In" is a weekly web series on BlackDoctor.org Facebook Live on Wednesdays at 6 pm EST.
Related podcast episode with Reona Berry, https://podcast.ausha.co/navigatingcancertogether/how-breast-cancer-led-to-aabca-with-reona-berry
In 2011, I was diagnosed with Hodgkin's Lymphoma, out of the blue. I did not have any prior health concerns or issues. Fast forward, the dreaded cancer diagnosis opened my eyes, introduced me to my purpose, and lead me to where I am today.
As a Cancer Doula, I use my 11 years of experience with cancer to support and guide others diagnosed with cancer. Many people are not familiar with what a cancer doula is. Think of me as your personal guide and patient advocate. Schedule a 30-minute Meet and Greet call to learn more. https://bit.ly/OTOSDiscovery
Learn more about On the Other Side at https://www.ontheotherside.life/. Connect with me on LinkedIn (https://www.linkedin.com/in/talayadendy/), or sign up for my bi-weekly newsletter (https://bit.ly/OTOSNewsletter) to get information and resources related to cancer.
💜Please share this podcast with others!
Thanks for joining us on today's episode of the Navigating Cancer TOGETHER podcast!
Disclaimer: The information on this podcast is for general informational purposes only and SHOULD NOT be relied upon as a substitute for sound professional medical advice, evaluation, or care from your physician or other qualified health care provider.