Episode 63 with Ryan Lay, professional skateboarder from Tempe, Arizona.
Together we discussed him growing up near Phoenix, AZ and picking up his first board in 1999, the current state of his pro-skater career recently joining Sci-Fi Fantasy and New Balance in his mid-30’s, going to college for a bit after high school but eventually dropping out to focus on his
skate career, being vegan for over 10 years, starting Skate After School with his friends Timothy Ward and Bobby Green and growing it into a successful non-profit, his involvement with Skatepal and his fond memories of traveling to Palestine, going to the 2019 edition of Pushing Boarders in Malmö, putting together the first edition of Slow Impact AZ in his hometown of Tempe in February 2023, his love of trail-running, doing the Vent City podcast for a few years with his friends, what he envisions for the rest of his pro-skater career…
- (00:13) – Intro
- (01:13) – Getting started
- (02:44) – First mag, first vid
- (04:56) – How do you feel at this stage of your pro skater career?
- (07:33) – Being on NB with Andrew Reynolds
- (09:00) – Sci-Fi Fantasy
- (10:59) – Education
- (14:47) – Veganism
- (19:00) – Skate After School
- (25:41) – Getting involved with Skatepal
- (30:07) – Going to Pushing Boarders
- (31:49) – Slow Impact
- (36:32) – Were you set on doing the event in Tempe?
- (40:04) – When will the next edition of Slow Impact happen?
- (43:17) – “We found love” by Rihanna
- (46:15) – Favorite memory from the event?
- (49:14) – Trail running
- (01:02:18) – Goals/ambitions for the next 5 to 10 years?
- (01:05:42) – Vent City Podcast
- (01:06:38) – Most valuable lesson learned from skateboarding?
- (01:08:43) – Friends questions
- (01:42:39) – Conclusion
For more information and resources: https://linktr.ee/beyondboards